Wednesday, November 11, 2009

If you're not for it, are you against?

I've had a lot on my mind lately. A lot. One of the biggest topics has been that of my thoughts regarding the church. For anyone new to my blog, I believe in the gospel. I always have and I have a really hard time seeing myself not believing in it. The church, however, is a different story. It's "human". My thought has been this: If I don't support the church's involvement, whether directly or indirectly, in civil matters such as Prop 8, am I against it? Can't I just be neutral? I've often heard that if you're not moving forward you're moving backward; you can't just be stationary. Is that true regarding opinions?

Thoughts?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

  1. I think, Biblically speaking, you cannot be "luke warm." You are either hot or cold otherwise you will be "spewed out." I don't think there is such thing as neutrality where matters of religion are concerned. By not choosing you are making a choice and it usually ends up being in favor of who ever has the most resources to take charge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sean on this one. If you are neutral in the church than you are like the servant who was given one talent and hid it. Eventually it was taken from him.

    Is it ok to take a step back for a bit and evaluate, yes, but be careful this doesn't become a life long viewing activity, and also don't step to far back that you can no longer see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know man. I think a better analogy is what happens with water when it sits for too long - it gets nasty and gross stuff starts growing in it. I think it's very appropriate and smart to take a step back to get a look a things from a different vantage point or even to step away from an issue to get a break from it. But, I've just seen how, for myself, if I stay there too long, it's really hard to get back to where I was. I kinda think that maybe the same thing goes for opinions. Maybe. But, I DEFINITELY think it's wise to take a break from time to time. Love you Man. :)

    ReplyDelete