Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Church Discipline - FEEDBACK REQUESTED!!

Something very interesting happened this past Sunday that triggered some reflective time for me.  I had just sat down in Sunday School when the teacher caught my attention as he was preparing for the class to begin and asked that I give the opening prayer.  I said yes.  Simple enough no?

Later Sunday evening, as I was driving to attend the Matis Fireside I was reflecting on that simple incident and a question came to my mind that has kind of been nagging at me.  Why would the church suspend someone's ability to offer a prayer in a class or share their testimony when working through certain church discipline processes?  This is baffling to me.  If the individual were a non-member, the church member's would be encouraging it.

I didn't question my accepting the offer to say the opening prayer because I feel good about my relationship with my Heavenly Father & Christ and the efforts that I'm making in my life.  I did, however, wonder if I should really allow the people operating Christ's church to dictate my ability to share my testimony and offer a prayer to my Heavenly Father?  I'm not trying to say that the leaders of the church are incorrect for doing this but rather confess some lack of understanding of this process.  Due to the potentially sensitive nature of the responses on this topic, and the possible negative comments, I probably won't be posted many comments made to this post, at least for a little bit.  I have however created a quick survey to gather some feedback from you all on what your understanding/interpretation is of this process and I'd really appreciate the feedback.  The survey really is quick and can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/4d9b5vf 

No comments:

Post a Comment