My dad is currently on sabbatical from teaching this semester has been doing some consulting work with a firm in the industry for which he teaches. He spent some time down in Dallas during August and part of September until he moved to Denver where he'll remain until the middle of December when he finishes up. My mom flew down to Salt Lake Thursday evening where I met her at the airport at which point we flew over to Denver together. I've always thought a lot of my parents but after this weekend, I think even more of them. They're such amazingly incredible people and I want so much to be like both of them.
Coming home to Salt Lake tonight, my mom and I had an interesting conversation. My parents truly are each other's best friend and neither of them do very well on their own. My mom commented on this experience of having my dad gone and only getting to see each other over other weekend or so and briefly touched on one or two points regarding the pros & cons of the experience. I made the observation that perhaps one of the greatest benefits has been allowing each of us to take a step back and realize the value each other play in our lives. It seems to become easy in this fast-paced, electronic life that we are living to slowly take others for granted and this experience has been a good reminder of this.
This afternoon, as were at my dad's "hotel" room watching some tv for a bit before heading to the airport, I watched as my mom cuddled up next to my dad and laid her head on his chest as he sat casually on the couch. My parents have a good thing. They love each other. There is a safety and a peace that they have found in each other that seems somewhat rare today and I envy them for that. I look forward to the experiencing that and greatly appreciate the example they have, and continue to, set for my sisters and I in that regard.
I'm a lucky son.
No comments:
Post a Comment