Friday, November 11, 2011

HOLY COW!!! Was I really just told that?

I'm in total shock.  I took a minute in a common, secret facebook group tonight to try and obtain someone's phone number who I was worried about and this is the conversation that ensued:

Me: Hey guys...do any of you have <person's name> number?
Him: No
      Who are you, Andy?
Me: just another gay mormon who works to keep a balance with all things in life
Him: gay as in living a gay lifestyle?
Me: gay as in homosexual
Him: I must really encourage you not to label yourself that way. 1) It's confusing to others and 2) It's confusing to yourself because it makes you think this attraction to men is a part of your identify when's really just a mortal condition like not being able to work normally.
Me: yikes C!
       that's quite the statement
Him: Howso?
Me: how old are you?
Him: I am 26
      How old are you?
Me: I'm 30
Him: Did you want to make any further comment on why my suggestion for you was "quite the statement"?  Or do you just want to leave it at that?
Me: I respect you for being a child of God and being one willing to be open with your beliefs but I purposefully avoid conversations in this group because I don't think they're healthy.  I turned on the chat setting tonight in an effort to help a friend but I can see that my efforts are better focused elsewhere.  Good luck with things in your life man

Wow.  I about fell out of my chair.  Where are these guys being told this?  I truly hope this is not something being taught and encouraged within this particular group.

I'm very glad that I know who I am.  I'm a gay, child of God and I'm proud of who I am.

Andy

1 comment:

  1. I call it the "cancer theory of homosexuality". I'm working through a post on the subject in my mind. They teachings of moved from gay being bad and evil to pity for the poor person who has the "disease" not so unlike cancer.

    Of course being gay is a part of your identity. As are all so-called "mortal conditions".

    ReplyDelete