Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Me a father of two?

Super-bowl Sunday was an interesting day this year.  In years past my brother-in-law and his family do a little food competition that my sisters and I try to be supportive of our sister and hang out with them for a bit during the game and of course eat the food.  This year was pretty similar to other years until we started talking about some family stuff.

My sister & brother-in-law were planning a trip to go see an old college roommate of my sister's down in El Paso and while they were down there, the old roommate's husband works for the Border Patrol so he was planning to take them over into Mexico some.  My sisters and I got to talking about the safety of this excursion and then one of them asked my oldest sister who they would want to have raise their two daughters if something happened to them.  I had always assumed it would be one of my younger sisters who have been working hard and are very successful.  Then my oldest sister says, "We've actually thought about it and talked quite about it and we've actually asked Andy if he would raise them."  Yes, I punctuated that correctly.  It wasn't a question, it was a statement.  I know I'm getting older but I don't recall said conversation but I felt very honored none the less.  It's had me doing quite a bit of thinking since then and what a tremendous compliment that was even after I officially came out to them.

I purposefully waited so long to post this as they went on their little excursion and returned safe and sound.  That evening and the accompanying conversation were a great reminder for me to live my life in a manner that would allow endless possibilities in the future for my progression and service to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment