Thursday, June 4, 2009

Update #2: My Spirituality

Spiritual versus religious. The gospel versus the church.

These are a couple of comparisons that have been made in my mind quite frequently over the past few months. I have experienced the great blessing of being able to recognize the difference in each and appreciate each for the great benefit that it can be in my life. In a lot of ways I feel that I am more spiritual now than ever before, possibly even including my mission. The past few months have provided me with many opportunities to seek out my Heavenly Father looking for his guidance and reassurance that not only is he there but also that he loves me. I can honestly say that I know he lives and that he loves me. I have felt his love and comfort and strength in so many ways and during so many times. Its amazing.

At the same time, however, I may be a little less religious than I once had been or even perhaps than many of the members of the church would consider acceptable. One of the greatest bits of knowledge that I treasure, and hope to always do so, is the fact that the gospel is perfect and true and that the church is "human" and though imperfect, is essential in us having the gospel today. What a blessing that has been in my life to finally come to this understanding. It has helped me immeasurably to be able to not be frustrated with my Heavenly Father when members of the church do or say stupid things that could so easily offend me. They're not perfect just as I'm not perfect.

Overall, I'm very happy with my current spiritual position. I feel comfortable but only in the sense that I don't have the constant inner struggle and termoil that I dealt with for so very long. I am continually looking for ways improve my life and continue to try to keep a close, personal relationship with my Heavenly Father and my brother Jesus Christ.

Thanks to all of you who have set an example for me to follow. Even if I don't always agree with your choices or advice, I appreciate your choices and advice. Thank you for living so that my life is better because of you.

Much love to you all,

Andy
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment