Another wikipedia reference tonight for something that's been on my mind this weekend..."Vulnerability is the susceptibility to physical or emtional injury or attack. It also means to have one's guard down, open to censure or criticism. Vulnerability refers to a person's state of being liable to succumb, as to manipulation, persuasion, or temptation."
Sounds pretty negative to me. "...liable to succumb, as to manipulation, persuasion, or temptation" almost makes it sound as though when one is vulnerable, they are weak. I submit that there are times being vulnerable can lead to amazing, life-changing experiences. While I don't think it's a requirement, when one lets their guard down, they are indeed open to criticism but, and perhaps more importantly, they are also open to new possibilities and opportunities. The opportunities that I am implying I honestly believe could be missed without taking that chance and letting yourself be a little vulnerable.
It can be a terrifying and frightening experience. However, it can also bring such unspeakable joy and happiness. I've experienced that this weekend.
How great vulnerability is.
No comments:
Post a Comment