Monday, April 16, 2012

Expectations

I don't know that I ever expected to be in this place. It seems my expectations of various church services are to high. Last week, my ward attempted to honor the significance of Easter by having this young couple speak and that was it. It was Easter for crying out loud. Where were the sacred hymns celebrating the resurrection and the joy and the hope that the holiday brings?  I was a little disappointed. Then, tonight, at the Outreach Fireside that I'm trying really hard to be supportive of, the speaker was so bad I almost left a few times. I'm sure he thought he was doing a good thing but again, where was the hope & encouragement & excitement about the gospel!?  I know I'm gay, you don't have remind me of it several times. Preach the applicable gospel for the setting.

-andy

Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™


4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, I think sometimes members of the Church are trying so hard not to be like mainstream Christians that they miss the obvious.

    Celebrating Easter, Christmas etc are worthwhile exercises, to help people remember why these seasons and celebrations exist.

    Honestly, I found a better position to come from is to try and see the positive people are trying to do instead of what they're not doing. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts...you make a very good point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still, it IS frustrating that sometimes we seem to miss the simple expressions of faith...
    Andy S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. Last night, during the fireside, there were a few moments where I wanted to stand up and politely say, "Yes, we know all of this...teach us about the gospel." But I didn't.

    ReplyDelete