A couple of weeks ago I had the great pleasure of catching up with an incredible friend from college. She's married now with two kids and things seem to really be going pretty well for her. After enjoying a great southern bbq dinner, followed-up by some frozen yogurt, we were chatting by our cars about life and it's many facets. We were talking about dating and social lives and what not when I said something like, "...and, on top of that, you're a smart person and I'm sure you've figured it out or assumed it, but it's even harder being gay." If she had figured it out or assumed it, she didn't say so. After a while standing by the cars and talking more about things we ended up sitting down on a park bench that was close to where we were standing.
We continued in a very engaging conversation about this newly identified set of facets in life. We talked of relationships and life and how they can compliment each other very well at times. I began describing some of the things that I wanted out of life based on my current circumstances:
- Someone that would miss me when I'm traveling
- Those random text messages exchanged throughout the day saying, "Hope your day is going well! Can't wait to see you tonight!"
- Offering to help each other (regardless of what it applies to)
- A loving smile followed by a tender wink from across the room that says, "I'm thinking about you even though we are in the same room"
- The ability to come home after a long day, sit on the couch and rest my head on his shoulder and not have to say anything because I know that nothing needs to be said....he cares and that's enough
- Being so close that there is never a doubt regarding when it's your opportunity to worry about the other person or be the one that they're worried about, and consequently, you don't have to worry
- To feel completely safe
As the discussion ensued, the end result was: that's called a relationship. Simple put, I want a relationship.
No comments:
Post a Comment