Today in Sunday School (pick up your jaw, yes I went to Sunday School today) we discussed some of the Abrahamic Covenant. Something struck me pretty strong that I wanted, for my own benefit more than anything, to put into my own words and run through my thought process.
Abraham 1:2 reads, "And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same; having been myself a follower of righteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to posses a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many nations, a prince of peace, and desiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers." Abraham goes on and tells of some of his encounters and then tells of an experience when he and Lot were praying unto the Lord and the Lord appears to him. Once the Lord leaves Abraham said, "Thy servant has south thee earnestly; now I have found thee;"
Two key things I learned from this: 1. Greater happiness and peace and rest are waiting for us but they are not simply going to be given to us; we must seek after them. 2. If we seek him earnestly, he will allow us to find him. Now, you're probably saying, Duh! Andy...this isn't anything new and you're right. However, today as I was reading this and pondering these things it hit me as if it were new and I appreciated that.
One person made the statement at one point that we are not put on this earth to fail and how true that is. By the same token, however, we have the agency to choose whether or not we will succeed. As I said last night, I choose to be happy. While there is a good chance that my life will be greatly different than Abraham's, I can still be a follower of righteousness, desire to posses great knowledge, desire to receive instruction, keep the commandments the best I can, strive to become a rightful heir, and hopefully, someday, hold the right belonging to my fathers.
Remember, God did not put us here to fail. He's there to help us succeed if we want to. We each have our own path to get us there and fortunately for us, he'll help us on our journey.
I enjoyed the lesson as well. Thanks for sharing your last two posts. Each of our journeys may be different, but as long as they lead us home, we will have learned what we were sent here to learn.
ReplyDelete