Sunday, January 17, 2010

Defying Gravity

After another amazing performance of Music & the Spoken Word I thought I'd share a few thoughts that have been on my mind.

First, as I was driving to Salt Lake this morning a song came in the radio about moving mountains. This is something that I think all of us have pondered at one time or another: How can I move this mountain, whether it be physical, spiritual, social etc? The solution which the song suggests is quite simple. I'd heard that song countless times and yet for some reason, this morning it clicked: I move mountains not by actually moving the mountain but rather by climbing up that mountain until finally, that mountain is under me...and I have moved/conquered it.

Now on to defying gravity. I have never seen the musical Wicked. I have, however, always loved the music from it and Defying Gravity is no exception. A guilty pleasure I have is that every Saturday night, here in the Salt Lake valley a radio station hosts Show Tunes Saturday Night from 7:00 pm until midnight. What a great way to end a week and get ready for Sunday. Last night as I was listening to it on the way home from the gym Defying Gravity came on and I was so excited. This time, however, a different meaning came to me as I listened. I don't know if I just hadn't really ever listened to the song before but my life was changed. I printed off the lyrics before I left my apt this morning and I want to share some of them:

Something has changed within me,
Something is not the same,
I'm sick of playing by the rules
Of someone else's game.
Too late for second-guessing,
Too late to go back to sleep,
Its time to trust my instincts,
Close my eyes: and leap!

Its time to try defying gravity,
I think I'll try defying gravity,
And you can't pull me down!

....I'm through accepting limits,
'Cause some says they're so,
Some things I can not change,
But till I try, I'll never know!

Now, perhaps I'm totally taking this out of context but I don't care, this really struck me and besides, its my blog post. Its time to try defying gravity and no one can pull me down. What a statement. How often do we let life's various gravitational pulls get us down? Weekly? Daily? Hourly? For me, it varies from day to day but I have a new goal in mind...defying those gravitational pulls of life's everyday events that have the potential to get me down.

Here's to defying gravity!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

1 comment:

  1. Great insight on moving mountains Andy. I've never thought of it that way. If anyone can defy gravity, it will be you.

    Have a great Sunday my friend!

    ReplyDelete