Thursday, November 18, 2010

Some thoughts...on a different note....

I haven't posted many thought-provoking spiritual posts lately I feel and as I've been reading a new blog there are some thoughts I wanted to share.  I'm going to share the name of the blog just yet though it's not hidden so I'm sure some of you have read it but instead wanted to share some of my ponderments....

Perspective:  We've all been in situations where another's perspective is able to shed a different light on the scenario than we were able to see ourselves.  How many of us, however, have tried to look at the gospel from our own perspective?  How many of us simply live our spiritual lives and form/grow our testimony based on the perspectives of others whether they be family, friends or even church leaders.  I've always been a big advocate of the necessity we each face to gain our own testimony of each individual aspect of the gospel but how many of us have done it?  The author of this blog made the following statements:
"Scripture should be viewed as a springboard for experience propelling one toward a higher perspective of truth, but not viewed as the literal definition of truth."
"God gives his children commandments as a proven lifestyle whereby his children can live peaceably allowing them to coexist without causing pain and misery."
Before you call me out for saying the scriptures aren't true re-read the first statement and take into consideration the promise we've been given in Moroni that we can know the truth of all things.  I'm not doubting that.  I'm simply agreeing with this statement that we should not just read the scriptures and call it good but rather seek to know the truthfulness of the teaching found in the scriptures and not just to know whether or not the scriptures are true.

Our approach to doctrine: Let me start off with a few more quotes from this author:
"Prayer can facilitate in the connection to God, the spirit, and truth.  We must accept the spirit's guidance if we are to journey for further light."
"It is imperative to accept the possibility that we may not have a full scope of truth and be willing to let go of beliefs that impair our perceptions of truth."
"Whatever the outcome we must not fear." (regarding seeking clarity)
"How can God enlighten a mind that is darkened by fear and powerless from asking the 'big questions'?"
"If we do not question, where is our integrity, accountability or faith?"
Oh how important our approach to the doctrines of the gospel is!!  Back to one of my original questions, "How many of us simply live our spiritual lives and form/grow our testimony based on the perspectives of others...".  We should be actively and regularly taking the time to seek out a confirmation of every gospel principle that we "believe in" to either strengthen our conviction or help us to discern from truth and suggestions.  One key factor in all of this is having an open mind.  How can we honestly be taught if we go into a situation with preconceived ideas and expectations?  We have to have an open mind so that we can continually seek the spirit assistance in identifying truth.  The author makes the statement: "As we partake of this process we may find some of the things that we hold near and dear to our hearts, to be false." and I agree.  I would however, clarify that in this instance I believe "false" does not necessarily mean that we may find some teachings of the church leaders to be incorrect but rather the perspective used to present the doctrine has been applied every so slightly off from that which is 100% true that over time, and enough of these slightly incorrect perspectives, the things that we hold near and dear may have been skewed slightly from their true meaning and we will have the opportunity to discern such.

A solid foundation for doctrine:  For this concept I'm simply going to present 4 simple questions the author poses for us to identify the precision of a doctrine:
"Does the doctrine appear in canonized scriptures?"
"Does the doctrine hang upon the two great commandments? Specifically, does it help us in loving God, ourselves and the rest of humanity?"
"Is this doctrine personally verified by at least two credible witnesses?  Specifically, was it revealed to at least two Prophets through personal revelation from God?"
"Is the doctrine currently taught by the prophet and his apostles?"

If we are trying to identify a doctrine's truth, and we apply these 4 simple questions and only 1, possibly 2 can be answered affirmatively the author submits that the doctrine may not be true doctrine.  If 3 can be answered affirmatively the author submits that we could depend on it as significant doctrine and if all 4 questions can be answered affirmatively the author submits that the doctrine should be considered central to the church.

How inspiring I felt these points to be.  They are not blasphemous.  They do not speak ill of the church leaders.  They should not create doubt of one's testimony but rather encourage one to seek growth and development of their testimony.  There is much more to share and I will as I continue reading but as I read these posts I couldn't help but feel like there is such strong value in each aspect of this.

So the wise man was that built his house upon a rock, if we seek the truth regarding our purpose on this earth, in this life, and regarding our relationship with our Heavenly Father, we too will have a sturdy foundation to stand the changing tides of life.

1 comment:

  1. This post is great. It reminds me how much credibility I give others when they speak of their belief in the Church, and how little credibility I lend to my own thoughts and understanding. I feel like a lot of people do this, and now that I think about it, really silly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete