Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Spoken Word....

Today's "spoken word" at Music & the Spoken Word was this:
In the lunchroom of a busy workplace, groups of employees were eating and visiting with one another at a dozen different tables. Suddenly one man stood, panic in his eyes. As he began turning blue, alarm spread through the crowd. But for several agonizing moments, no one stepped up to help him.

All at once a man came forward and gripped the choking fellow around his ribs, squeezing him in a series of tight jerks until the food was dislodged. Amazement and joy swept through the onlookers as they felt a rush of appreciation that someone knew the Heimlich maneuver. The man embraced his rescuer in a moment of true thankfulness.

But there was another kind of gratitude at that moment. It was humble appreciation, on the part of the hero, that he had the knowledge and the strength to be able to help in an emergency.

It's one of life's great truths that the giver of selfless service feels just as much joy-and just as much reason to be thankful-as the receiver. Whenever we are in the right place at the right time to help, we feel an overwhelming sense of thanksgiving to our Maker for using us to bless someone in need.

We often give thanks for things we have received. But we should not overlook this other type of gratitude: thanks for what we can do for others. American poet Edwin A Robinson described these two kinds of gratitude as "the sudden kind we feel for what we take, [and] the slower kind we feel for what we give."

Being able to make a difference in the lives of others, to be useful, to be kind, to help, is a blessing that fills our hearts to overflowing with humility and gratitude. As we take count of life's bounties, let us remember and give thanks not only for our families, our good fortune, or our health but also for the marvelous ways God can use us to bless the lives of others.
("ANOTHER KIND OF GRATITUDE" given by Lloyd D. Newell, November 21, 2010)

I felt very humbled as I read this due to two specific events from last night. I went to the rodeo up in Ogden last night with my buddy and had a great time as always (I love going to the rodeo). As we were heading back to his place I stopped to get gas and he needed a gallon of milk. As I turned from my car to head into the gas station upon starting the gas pumping into my car, I noticed this young lady, probably mid-20's, standing by the side of her car with her spare tired next to her car and her jack in her hands with a puzzled look on her face. I quickly asked her if she needed any help and she was puzzled because she usually does her own car maintenance but for some reason her jack wasn't working. Upon quickly realizing that her jack was severely bent and would not be usable, I handed it back to her and told her I'd go get my jack and help her with her tire. My buddy came out of the store and we proceeded to help her change her tire and off she went. I was grateful last night, and reminded of such gratitude this morning, that I knew how to change a tire but also had a jack that could help. I wasn't sure how many people and had walked in and out of that gas station with her standing there alone but I was glad I could help.

The second event took place late last night as I was catching up with a friend that I don't get to see very often. We were discussing the well-being of another friend of ours and my friend began to share some frustration that he felt our other friend is pretty selfish and doesn't take time to care about the needs of others while expecting others to focus on his needs. I can appreciate my friends concerns with our mutual friend and tried to offer some suggestions on how he might be able to improve the situation. And then, this morning as I was reading the message above while listening to it in the tabernacle, I was reminded of the blessing which is mine in having a friend in my life that I can be a friend to. This mutual friend we were discussing often times does indeed dominate conversations and require perhaps more attention than my or I do but how grateful I am that I can offer my friendship to this mutual friend.

As Brother Newell put it so well, "Being able to make a difference in the lives of others, to be useful, to be kind, to help, is a blessing that fills our hearts to overflowing with humility and gratitude". And so it is.

2 comments: