So, it's obvious that I haven't posted any sort of update regarding my interactions/conversations with my parents. As was indicated, my parents came down for the Draper Temple Open House this past weekend and I thought I was going to get away without very much talking with just them but they stopped by my work Saturday night on their way home to talk for a little bit. We ended up talking outside by their car for about 45 minutes. I was a little nervous but at the same time, the peace that I've felt about the whole process I was once again blessed to feel. We were able to talk about things openly and I could tell that they've really been trying to be open minded about everything and to consider my feelings/thoughts with all of this. As I've said before, I by no means expect them to fully understand and appreciate all that I've been through because it's taken me many, many years to get to this point. However, my love and appreciation for them was increased tremendously that evening. I told them about attending the Matis Firesides and about reading In Quiet Desperation and Broken Things To Mend and about the incredible amount of strength, peace, and support I have received from these things. My dad made a few comments regarding the lack of appropriate dialogue that exists regarding this amongst members of the church and expressed his sorrow that I've been "forced" to deal with this on my own for so long. Nothing was really mentioned regarding my future plans and I'm happy for that. I for one know how wishy-washy I've been on what my future holds for me.
I'm feeling pretty reflective today but also a little ansy for change. I'm so grateful for so many great, wonderful, support friends. I hope you don't regret being my friend when I randomly show up on your doorstep wanting to go to lunch....like I said, I'm feeling a little restless.
I think it's an excellent sign that your dad is lamenting the lack of dialogue in the church on the topic of homosexuality. That seems to indicate that he is willing to talk and to learn and to attempt to understand everything, and (in my opinion) that's the single greatest thing he can do to support you.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad things are going well for you!
(And I'm open to going to lunch any time!) :)
Your parents are golden. They sound like wonderful people to me. THey're very supportive and trying to understand. They obviously ache for you and your situation. What a blessing.
ReplyDeleteHA, Andy if you were to show up on my doorstep to go to church, I'd totally GO!!! Not a single friend has ever done that for me though. It would be novel. Hmmm, makes me wonder if my friends care. . ha ha. I've asked friends to go to church with me and I get nothing but funny looks. Occasionally I go to church randomly. But not lately.