This morning I attended yet another broadcast of Music & the Spoken Word. I have missed a couple of weeks and was looking forward to going. Its been an interesting week with some very strong, thought-provoking events occurring. I looked up the song list last night for this morning's broadcast to see if I could get a feel for the theme of the meeting. After looking at the songs I was looking forward to attending even more. I was late picking up a friend to go with me and then ran into some heavy traffic on temple square due to what I assumed was a regional conference so I got into the tabernacle really late. I was afraid they wouldn't let us in because we were so late but we were able to make it in, quickly find a seat and I was able to take a minute to prepare myself for the broadcast.
The songs were amazing as always and the spirit they invited was amazing. Because we were so late arriving we weren't able to pick-up a copy of the "program" which contained the spoken word. Without this, I had to just listen to the message rather than follow along with it. The reminder in the message of the importance to "fight the good fight" was so timely. Brother Newell not only shared the reminder of how important it is to continue fighting the good fight but also the following:
"Whenever we see those who live for many years with disabilities and disadvantages and yet do the best they can, we gain courage to face our own trials. We're inspired by others who, while experiencing their own heartache and sorrow, somehow find a way to reach out to others in love and kindness. We draw strength from so many who every day are fighting the good fight of faith and hope despite overwhelming challenges. They refuse to become bitter and have chosen instead to become better and, in a remarkable way, to help those around them become better too."
How grateful I am to so many of you who help me to become better when perhaps it would be easier to become bitter.
Here's to continuing to fight the good fight in faith.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
I missed going to church today because of a sick loved one and feeling spread too thin. But thanks to your blog, I just got a taste of the spirit. Thank you for blogging about your experience this morning.
ReplyDeleteHey Ned, thanks for your comment. I hope your Sunday provided you with a small chance at least for some time to yourself. I know full well the feeling of being spread to thin...I'm here for ya if you need anything.
ReplyDeleteI had Brother Newell for a class at BYU. I love his voice.
ReplyDelete