I was talking with a good friend recently about all of this and he made an interesting statement. He said something along the lines of God knew how great and strong of an individual he is and so he was giving this aspect of his life because of how great he is. This person is SO great and amazing and I can totally see how this could be the case but I'm wondering what some of your thoughts have been regarding this. Did we volunteer for this in the pre-earth life? Were we hand selected to have this be a part of our lives? Did others up in the pre-earth life know us as we are now, only without bodies, and look up to us for being willing to come to earth as a gay child of our Heavenly Father?
I don't think there are any wrong answers so let me know what you think?
I don't have the answers, but I do think about it sometimes. In some ways it makes sense that if agency is so critical to God's plan, that we might have had some choice in the matter, but I'm not sure.
ReplyDeleteInteresting to think about. Love you Andy!
I don't have the answers either but this is something I have wondered. I have been told many times that we were prepared before we came down to earth for the challenges we would face. If that is the case, I was either foolhardy thinking that it would be easy or incredibly brave wanting everything the world could throw at me, including a basic temptation that affected my very salvation. I am still trying to figure it out. Let me know when you find an answer. :)
ReplyDeleteHi there.
ReplyDeleteYou bring up an interesting idea. Although there are days when volunteering for this struggle sound like a colossal lapse in judgment, other times it's quite motivating. Even if I only knew ahead of time that I would live in this situation without actively choosing it, that tells me something about myself--that even if I feel now that this conflict is going to just mow me down, I didn't always feel that way. If I knew ahead of time, then at some point I acknowledged to some degree the situation I would live in and accepted it and was willing to face the challenge head-on. I find that very motivational. The only problem is that none of us can know for sure whether or not that's the case.
But even if I wasn't so much as aware of the fact I'd live my life feeling attracted to guys, God knew. And whether or not I felt I was up to the challenge, he did.
Everyone has their cross to bear, and as it turns out this is ours. We're not alone in having a burden to bear, but oh what a burden it is sometimes! But the simple fact that we have this obstacle tells me that we're up to the challenge.
P.S. It's nice to meet you.