Friday, October 31, 2008

Inspirational Aspens

Today I had the awesome chance to go on a hike with a good friend up to Stewart Falls. I was a little bit leary of the weather but we went ahead and headed up to the trail head. After struggling to find the trail head, we figured out where to start and headed up the trail. For those who don't know where this trail is at, it's above Aspen Grove along the Alpine Look Road. Being in this area of course means there are a lot of aspen trees covering the mountainside. As we hiked up the trail, I couldn't help but learn a simple lesson from the aspen trees: keep growing "up" towards the light. As you can see in this picture, most of the aspen trees don't grow straight up out of the ground. A major reason for this, I believe, is due to the heavy amount of snow that falls in these mountains each year. As gravity takes it's toll in the spring, the trees have no choice but to be force over in the same direction as the snow melts. However, as is evident here, the trees work hard all spring, summer & fall long to straighten themselves out and once again begin growing upward. I couldn't help but think of a simple lesson here that regardless of the outside pressures forced on these trees, they continually strive to grow tall, towards the light. In my life, I have strived for something very similar in the past 6-8 months. It's very easy to get bogged down in life's trials and hoping the world will join us in a pity party but if we are able to 1. survive the "snowfall" or the initial piling up of temptations or struggles, 2. "shake off the snow" or brush off & work through our struggles, and then 3. continue to "grow upward towards the light" then, when the next round hits us, we'll be that much stronger and ready for the next round that will inenvitably come.

3 comments:

  1. The Aspen tree has always been my favorite tree. I was just up in the mountains taking pictures of their fall colors last month. I remember carving my name in one where ever we camped. But anyway, I am glad you are here and I look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bror...thanks for your feedback. I love living in such a beautiful area with so many opportunities to experience God's love for us. I look forward to getting to you, as well as many others, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Andy. I have been going back through your blog, to read, and learn more about you. You are a good man. But, then, I already knew that!

    I love this analogy with the aspens. I have long been a fan of aspens, especially Quacking Asps. I think they are so beautiful. Anyway, I really learned a lot and have been thinking about what you wrote here, that if we can gather strength through the "initial snowfall", then "brush" it off, we can then work at growing tall and strong.

    I really love this. This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing this profoud insight. Duck

    ReplyDelete