Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What changes would I prefer?

I had the thought tonight at the gym about being gay: If I could change anything about my situation except the fact that I'm gay, what would I change? Would I change my social settings so that being gay was more accepted? Would I change my religious background so that I didn't feel so guilty and didn't feel so trapped regarding losing my religion? Would I change my family so that I could be open with them and they'd still love me the same? This is tough for me to answer. I don't think I'd want to change my religion. As odd as it seems, I find a lot of hope and peace in the gospel. Perhaps that's because I know it's true but at the same time, knowing that it's true is a comforting thing as well. Would I change my family? Maybe but how would I change them or what family would I rather have isn't an easy answer either. I think the first thing I would change would be my social settings and maybe a better way to define this would be society. Imagine what it would be like if society didn't automatically associate being gay with thoughtless sex. How many people experience same gender attraction and end up acting out on it because it's what society expects of them? I personally believe that if society was a little more open minded about SGA and put more thought into the concept of it and not the physical actions of it, life would not be nearly as difficult. Just think how much easier it would be for single gay men to not have their co-workers always asking them if they've met that special young lady yet or if there was any interest in a girl they happen to talk about. Imagine what it would be like if you could openly talk about your feelings to be close to another man and not have your co-workers freak out and treat you differently because in their minds, you may be attracted to them and that's wrong and they would never want to be associated with that. I think that a lot of people are unhappy in this life, SGA related or not, simply because of the pressures and norms that society has created and continues to enforce. Unfortunately for me, that's the way it will continue to be and there's not much I can do about it. I never have been much of a conformist which poses a unique problem to this situation but I'll find a way. I've survived so far and there's really no point in giving up yet.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment